Oxford Debates Crimson January 18 Here After Interval of Two Decades

Oxford University will face the Debate Council for the first time in 20 years on Sunday, January 18 at 8 o'clock in Sanders Theatre.

"Resolved, That the social and economic advantages to be gained from nationalization of basic industries would be overwhelming" is the subject. Defending the Council in the negative will be William P. D. Bailey '46 and Edwin J. Jacob '47, veteran debaters who also took the stand for the Council in the debate against Cambridge last March 24.

Wellesley College President Mildred McAfee Horton will judge the Oxford debate along with Dr. Karl Compton, President of M.I.T., and Ralph Lowell '12, member of the Board of Overseers.

Oxford on the Head

The Oxford team, whose names have not yet been announced, has already been in this country two months on tour.

Bailey and Jacob took the affirmative in last spring's Cambridge debate when the visitors' team won a 2 to 1 decision in Paine Hall before an audience of 400.

Judges were Alvin H. Hausen, Lucius N. Littauer Professor of Political Economy, David E. Owen, professor of History, and Roscoe Pound, then Dean of the Law School. The topic was: "Resolved, That dissolution of the British Empire would contribute to the maintenance of world peaces."

Oxford has high hopes of equaling the record of Cambridge, who also won 8 to 0 over Yale.