Hills Are No Steeper and Snow No Whiter in Canada, Says Ski Club

"Leave Canada to the Canadiens" is the loud cry of Ski Club members in view of the coming mid-term break. The miles and hours one is dragged away from the sun by the call of the magic north is badly repaid by skiing no better than that of closer New England ranges, according to most club authorities.

Mount Tremblant is a name to make over-the-border enthusiasts glow with respect. But nationalists term it a 4000 foot chair lift haul to the top of trails no better than those to be found at Stowe or Bromley.

Rope tows flying faster than any in the States lead to practice slopes where John Fripp conducts a ski school along the same lines as Hannes Schneider's at Cranmore. Trails for every range of skier, expert, intermediate, and novice, if he can ride out the tows, are represented.

A new 5000 feet chair lift is being constructed on the north side of Tremblant to feed an entirely new set of trails. This area should be ready for use in less than a month.

Close Connections

Also, the Laurentian range extending from Tremblant three hours south to Montreal offers many closely connected resorts like Saint Marguerite, with a T-bar lift and the luxurious Chalet Cochaud, Saint Adole, and Saint Adole both with rope tows. None have the extensiveness of facilities or size of hills that many New England resorts possess, claim Americans.

The only real advantages that Canada has then over New England, according to members of the ski club is a longer season and cheaper prices for the powerful american dollar. Only for a two or three week vacation of skiing would club members consider Canada.