State of the Union

After the fuss and fairy that preceded Mr. Truman's message to Congress the message itself was somewhat of an anti-climax. That it should carry political overtones is not a mater for either astonishment or condemnation. That it should be too mild for some tastes and too strong for others is only a further indication of the innocuousness of the speech.

The President re-stated the recommendations that he has proposed time and time again. He reiterated the program that has come to be accepted as the core of liberal aspirations for the immediate future of the country. He plumped for civil liberties, extension of social security, better education, a national health program, preservation of our national resources, higher minimum wages, more houses, continued assistance to farmers--all of which add up to a higher standard of living.

Mr. Truman is, therefore, on the side of "right" against "evil." In a vague way he favors doing good. But he has not proposed a specific program for promoting any of these goals. His method is in sharp contrast to that of his predecessor who made recommendations to Congress at the same time that he had one of his party members in Congress introduce a bill embodying his suggestions.

Mr. Truman, however, is dealing with a Republican Congress which he knows to be unsympathetic to his proposals. It may be that the President believes that he can best further these proposals by merely keeping them before the country and permitting popular opinion to build up in favor of them while awaiting the day when there is a chance of their acceptance by Congress.

The office of President of the United States is one of moral leadership, and the President can often strengthen the psychological sinews and confidence of the nation by the use of "glittering generalities" which would not stand the test of critical dismemberment.

In this particular speech, however, the President presented a picture of a country materially so well off that it would be difficult for anyone to become excited about the need for further social reforms. He buried unpleasant facts beneath a barrage of optimism.

The tax proposal around which a small hurricane of opposition is being created occupied a rather secondary position in the speech, and constitute the position at which it is most vulnerable to attack as being a political instrument. But if the $40 tax cut is intended to be a vote-attracting mechanism, it also provides a means by which the Democrats can oppose the type of tax cuts advocated by the Republicans and at the same time avoid being put in the position of opposing tax cuts of any kind.

In any case the Republication charge that the President was motivated by political considerations should provide limitless merriment to those who like to sit on the sidelines and watch the pot calling the kettle black.