Corporation Approves Graduate Center Plan

The Corporation last night announced authorization of a $3,000,000 graduate center, to be completed by 1950.

Final plans for the center call for construction of seven dormitories and a commons hall to provide quarters for 600 graduate students and dining accommodations for 1000. The commons hall will also contain meeting and recreation rooms.

The project will be located on Jarvis ct., north of the Law School.

Money for the dormitories will come from a campaign now being conducted among alumni of the various graduate schools located on the Cambridge side of the Charles, the announcement said.

Corporation's Contribution

The $1,000,000 for the commons hall, plus land and maintenance for the entire project have been contributed by the Corporation. This contribution is contingent on the success of the drive to raise the $2,000,000 needed for the dormitories.

The plans for the project (model shown above) were drawn up at the Graduate School of Design under the direction of Professor of Architecture Walter Gropius. This is the first such project by the Department of Architecture to earn recognition from University authorities.