Radcliffe Willing to Knit for Braves

'Our Socks Can Beat Smith's'

Radcliffe won't be outdone by Smith--at least not on a simple thing like knitting.

When word came through yesterday that 75 Smith students had offered to knit "beautiful" socks for the Cleveland Indians, a sizeable quota of Cliffedwellers made it plain that, win or lose, the Boston Braves were still their number one heroes.

"Winter's coming and we won't have it said that we refused to stand by our Braves," said one Cabot Hall volunteer in answer to the offer made to the Indians by Smith's Gardner Hall. The girls there had announced their project Tuesday in the form of a congratulatory telegram which guaranteed "socks for all" if the Indians would send their sizes.

The only possible hitch is that the Radcliffe girls may not be able to handle the entire Braves team. "You know," a group at Barnard Hall explained last night, "we don't have as much time here as those Smith girls do, but the socks we do knit will beat any of theirs."

Despite general acceptance of the idea, a number of Annex students turned a cold shoulder to the plan. "Much too busy here," said a contingent at Bertram. And Georgianne Davis '51 was not alone when she declared that, although the 'Cliffe's honor was at stake, she would have to remain true to the Red Sox.