Varsity, Freshman Harriers Preparing for Rhode Island

Jaako Mikkola's cross-country runners will pound out some final yardage along Soldiers Field Road this afternoon in preparation for tomorrow's Varsity-Freshman meet with Rhode Island State at Franklin Park.

After staring hopelessly at the backs of Holy Cross and Tufts runners last Friday, the Varsity harriers expect to improve their showing against the powerful cross country squad from Rhode Island.

The Freshmen, on the other hand, turned up surprisingly strong and hopeful by outrunning Tufts in last week's meet. Eleven of the first 17 positions in the first-year contest were filled by the Yardlings, who have an even chance of making it two straight.

Fifteen members of the Varsity will compete tomorrow. John Cogan, Joe Leeming, Dick White, Dick Welch, Marvin Albee, and Joe Carleton top the list. Carleton came in first for the Crimson on Friday by running sixth against Tufts and the Crusaders.

For '52, Dave Gregory, Clark Coggeshall, Tom McGrath, Dave Scudder, Peter Lord, Allan Master, and Joe Heaney, top performers in the opening meet, are among the 29 runners Coach Mikkola will send out to the Franklin starting line.