Eliot, Dudley Win Close Games from Bellboys, Adams

By John Shortlidge

Eliot House came home with a close 12 to 6 victory over Lowell, and Dudley upset a strong Adams eleven, 12 to 7 yesterday, as the Inter-House football league roared full speed into its second day of play.

Both games were on the wire up to the final whistle; both games were rough, wide open, and hard fought.

Eliot, last year's champions, operated Columbia-style wing-T plays from a fast moving formation with Dave McGiffert under the center.

McGiffert handled the ball on all the plays, using deceptive pitch-outs to a slicing wing and short passes over the center. He heaved to Troup Wilder for the first touchdown and set up the second with a twenty-five yard boot-leg around right end. George Galphin carried over on the next play from the one-yard line.

After smothering the Eliot attack for the first half, Lowell passed its way to a 6 to 6 tie minutes after the first Elephant tally, with Fred Donahue rushing it over. Bellboy John Goldsmith snaked the center all afternoon and pulled the secondary forward with a shifty brand of ball carrying.

Gaping Holes

In spite of the gaping holes that the Adams' plunging T-formation ripped in the Dudley line, the Commuters came back in the last minute of play and scored on a blocked punt. Goldcoaster Roger Davis ran for the first touchdown from the Dudley 2 in the first period, but the Commuters came back with a 35-yard throw to Sam Samoiloff in the second. Down 7 to 6, they stole the wind from the already gloating Adams eleven, blocking a punt into the end zone and out of bounds for a fluke Dudley score.