Veritas Films Faces Possible Lawsuit As Hollywood Outfit Disputes Name

Veritas Films may change its name Monday night to dodge a law suit.

The club has received a letter from Veritas Productions Inc. of Hollywood, threatening to sue for damages if the College group continues to use the present name. Veritas Productions claims to have used the disputed title since 1936 and to have incorporated in 1946.

Club officers learned from the Legal Aid Society yesterday that they would not have a leg to stand on if the case comes. up in court.

"Legally they are the only Veritas company and we would be defrauding the public," club executive committee member James K. Graham '50 explained last night.

Sad Case

Veritas Films would only have a case if it kept its work within the College. But the club is already making plans for Boston television shows, and hopes to present its first movie, "A Touch of the Times," at a local theater.

If this happens, Veritas of Hollywood could sue for profits--which are non-existent--and damages. They could also ask for a restraining injunction, and thereby possibly cash in on Veritas Films' name.

The executive committee intends to contact Hollywood in hopes of a rapprochement.

If Veritas Productions is adamant, the College group must dig up a new title.