'I'm Proud of the Whole Team '. . . Valpey

By Bayard Hooper

On Saturday the Crimson played its greatest game since 1941. At any time the outcome could have been reversed, through the sheer courage of Harvard's play. Even after Army pulled two touchdowns ahead in the third period the tired team continued to tight bitterly until the final whistle.

On the ground, Harvard gained mere yardage than Villanova and Illinois combined, in the air, they equaled Army's passing offerts. Charlie Roche's punts averaged ten yards better than walt Vanney's.

Houston Outstanding

In the first half, the Crimson carried the ball 35 times, Army 32. Howie Houston, in Coach Art Valpey's opinion, played "the fineat tackle game I've ever seen at any time." Phil Isenberg and Kenny O'Donnell, standouts in the two previous games this year, made those performances look amateur. Jim Noonan's shifty running outclassed Bobby Jack Stuart's. Doug Bradice, Sam Butler, and Bill Henry were all outstanding.

Every man who saw action played his heart out. "They left everything they had on the field," said Valpey after the game. "It was their best game this year and I'm proud of them."

No Crimson Collapse

For most of the second period and a few brief moments in the third, they were the better team. But when Army pulled itself together, expleded two quick touchdowns, and regained the upper hand, Harvard never lost ballance and collapsed.

They were outclassed and outpowered, but they never cracked under what was probably the best opposition they will meet all season. Valpey's team has matured.

Army deserved their win, however. Gil Stevenson and Bobby Jack Stuart were everything the Sunday papers said about them. Dun Foldberg and Charlie Kuyk probably did more than any other men on the field to bottle up the Crimson's offense.

Shafer Out

It was the repulation of those two ends that led Valpey to rely on an inside game, with Paul Shafer bucking the line and Chip Gannon largely restricted to defense. Shafer took the worst battering of anyone on the squad. According to preliminary doctor's reports, he will be out of action for one week, possibly two, which is a good indication of Army's line power.

That Cadet line had a uasty habit of appearing in Harvard's backfield about the same time as the pass from center; this was only partly due to their own ability. The officiating was the worst in years.

The Crimson has played the toughest game on its schedule, but they are not in the clear. To start winning again, they will have to play as they did on Saturday.