36 Report for Hoop Practice At Hemenway

Six 1947-48 Lettermen Among Candidates

Football fever may be sweeping the Yard, but that doesn't bother basketball Coach Bill Barclay's varsity candidates. Thirty-six of them reported to Barclay last night at Hemenway Gymnasium for the Crimson's first 1948-49 hoop workout.

Included in the group were six lettermen from last year--Bill Prior, Walt McCurdy, Bill Mobraaten, Stove Davis, Johnny Rockwell, and Cliff Crosby.

Also on hand for the preliminary passing and shooting drills was giraffe-like Ed Smith, last year's high-scoring Freshman speedster. Smith, a six-four center, averaged close to 20 points a game last winter, dumping in 30 against Dartmouth's papoose quintet.

Gannon on Hand

Chip Gannon, who will captain the varsity this winter, appeared last night in streotclothes. He won't participate in pre-season practice sessions, since he will be sweeping the ends for Art Valpey.

Other members of the football team who won't be able to report to Barclay until after the Yale game include quarterback Bill Henry, tailback Jim Kenary, and tackle Tom Guthrie.

Practices will be held nightly except on Friday, Saturday and Sunday until after the football season ends. Hemenway, home of grad school athletic units and the varsity squash team, is being used this week by the varsity because the Blockhouse courts aren't ready for occupancy yet. They're being cleaned and refinished but will be ready by this Monday.

Barclay's team will play a 20-game schedule this winter, opening against Brown at Providence on December 4. First home game is Northeastern at the Indoor Athletic Building on December 8.

The Varsity is also booked to compete in the annual Missouri Valley Tournament at Kansas City during the Christmas vacation period.