Lou Little Awed by Crimson Size, Black Pants; Won't Predict Score

By Bill Green

Lou Little won't say that he expects to win today, but the Columbia coach who sent his charges through a workout in the Stadium yesterday was in a far more buoyant mood than the man who was preparing for a clash with Rutgers a week ago.

At that time, Little predicted that Harvard might well be better than Yale and the equal of Rutgers. By this standard, Columbia should have an easy win, for the Lions licked Rutgers 27 to 6 last Saturday.

But the Columbia coach points out that "Rutgers did everything; but outscore us," gaining more yardage along the ground and in the air than the Light Blue. And Little's first words on seeing the Crimson football team pour out of Dillon Field House were, "My, don't those boys look big."

Big opponents have never seared him, however. When he coached at Georgetown during the '20's, it was Little's custom to take 180-pounders and whip them into teams that could take on the nation's best. During his six years at Georgetown, Little's squad lost but five games, and beat such outstanding outfits as the NYU squad that featured Ken Strong.

His system there, it is interesting to note, was the same which Valpey is installing at Harvard: a tricky offense, with lots of spinners and double reverses, coming, however, from a double rather than a single wing.

Little was also impressed by the Crimson's black nylon pauts. But as for a prediction of the outcome of today's game, the coach isn't talking. Informed that Valpey had said that the winner would need three or four touchdowns, Little said, "That's okay by me, so long as we have the four and Harvard the three."