Big Green Steals Silently into Town, But Trouble Expected This Morning

Jack O' Lantern May Cavort Before Game

Not a creature was stirring in the Yard last night, but it looked like the calm before what University police feared would be a storm of Big Green activity during the wee hours of the morning.

Reports from Hanover yesterday indicated that the Indians' main effort of the day would occur shortly before game time. The exact nature of this coup is a well-kept secret, but it is understood that it will be engineered by members of The Jack O' Lantern, Dartmouth's humor magazine, with the financial backing of the Daily Dartmouth.

Customary Minor Explosions

Meanwhile, activity in Cambridge was limited to a few scattered explosions of small fireworks during the course of the evening. University police had a heavy guard posted in and around the Yard, with three men stationed in front of John Harvard's statue, but no trouble had developed in that area as of 2 a.m.

Soldiers Field was apparently unguarded throughout the night, but flood-lights were on at the wooden end of the stands, and there were lights under the concrete stands. All gates were securely locked.

Dartmouth in Town Again

Hanover was reportedly deserted at 8 p.m. last evening, with virtually the entire Dartmouth student body either en route or already in the Boston area. However, the influx of 3,000 men in Green had no noticeable effect on Boston, with local hotels reporting all quiet at mid-night.

This ominous quiet is not out of the ordinary for Dartmouth weekends, however. Yard cops traditionally experience their greatest hardships between the hours of three and five a.m. on Saturday morning.

They also have a hard time on post-game nights when Dartmouth wins. When Dartmouth wins, that is.