Questions Truman Support

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

It was with a great deal of amazement and consternation that I read the editorial in the CRIMSON entitled "For President: Truman." When you state that the CRIMSON supports Truman, does that mean merely the Editor, Editorial Board, or the entire staff? Is it the unanimous opinion of the staff, or the opinion of a select group of editors and policy-makers? And, incidently, under what authority does "The Official University Daily" which portrays student news, activities, and events print "the CRIMSON supports the candidacy of President Truman" when you supposedly represent a cross-section of the student body? Or do you merely represent a cross-section of the CRIMSON staff? ... Mark Gibson '52

(Mr. Gibson's questions are not unique; they are quite popular, and have been so for a long time. The CRIMSON has been aware of such questions. It printed an editorial on September 28 explaining how its editorial policy is determined. That editorial said, in part:

"On all major controversial Issues, policy is determined by a majority vote of the entire staff. In the past, such Issues have been the Truman Doctrine and Truman's request for a draft. Another will be the choice of a presidential candidate."

That covers all but one of Mr. Gibson's questions. The one that's left over is about the right of the CRIMSON, as a "cross-section of the student body," to support a candidate for President. The CRIMSON has never claimed to to be a cross-section. Its staff is usually a composite of the student body because people interested in journalism come from all sorts of backgrounds and have all sorts of opinions. But the CRIMSON functions as an Independent undergraduate organization, like the Dramatic Club or the Lampoon or the Young Republican Club. And the phrase "The Official University Dally" does not contradict this status. It means only that announcements and notices appearing In the CRIMSON are official.--Ed.)