Gymdwellers Complain At Assembly in Union

Fenn Forecasts Last Man Out in Week

Harvard's forgotten men--inhabitants of the gym barracks--got a chance to air their gripes last night in a meeting at the Union.

The meeting, called ostensibly to explain the program of Union activities to the gymdwellers, changed character rapidly when Assistant Dean Fenn called for questions on the situation.

He was deluged by complaints about the messy living quarters, lack of closet space, and the inavailability of trunks which have been stacked in the basement of Yard halls.

Fenn said that the best way for the men to get action was through a petition to Associate Dean Watson similar to the one submitted by the inhabitants of the gym last fall.

No Rent Return

Fenn explained that there will be no rent rebate for the men in the barracks, because the rates are figured by the term. There were many complaints about this apparent injustice from students who felt that if rent is figured by the number of men in a room and the convenience of location they are owed some redress.

There was one bright note for the gymdwellers: Fenn stated that he hoped to move the last man out of the barracks within a week. He held out no definite assurance, however.

Charge Delay

Some students complained that empty rooms in the Yard are not being reported or refilled as quickly as the situation demanded.

Fenn cited one case of a room empty for a day or two which was filled within ten minutes of the time he know of the vacancy. He explained that two single rooms in the Yard must be held open for men who may need them because of doctor's orders.

Several men said they had not received "fair notice" of their assignment to the barracks. This, they claimed, prevented them from repacking in order to have sufficient clothes and blankets in the closets basketball auditorium.