AVC Pledges $850 to War Memorial Center

Group Fights Plaque, Asks Vote

The American Veteran Committee last night pledged its entire Evans Carlson Memorail Fund of $850 to a War Memorial Activities Center, and urged others to lend financial as well as moral support" to the rejected proposal.

By unanimous vote, the University chapter condemned the Saltonstall Committee choice of a $60,000 memorial plaque in place of the center. It also asked directors of the Alumni Association and the Associated Harvard Clubs to allow an alumni a "democratic" choice by means of a mailed ballot.

(This plan was first proposed Tuesday by the Alumni Committee for a War Memorial Activities Center.)

The resolution was presented to over 100 AVC members by Stanley G. Karson '41 IPA former chapter chairman. Cheers and applause followed passage of the measure.

The Carlson Fund was set up one year ago for student scholarships. The AVC last night pledged the present contents in these words:

"Understanding that there are financial considerations involved in the decision on a suitable war memorial, this chapter wholeheartedly pledges its Evans Carlson Memorial Fund for any proposed Memorial Activities Center, trusting that this action will be followed similarly by other groups and individuals."

Delegates Chosen

Delegates to coming state and national AVC conventions were elected last night. Rational representatives are Eastman Birkett 3L, chairman, George Dysart 3L, Karcon, Roy Gootenburg '49, Robert Kubie '46, Richard Lyman 2G, Andrew E. Rice '48, Charles Thompson 2L, Warren Wilhelm 3G, and Reginald H. Zalles 3G.

State delegates are Robert Koblitz 3PA, Leon Waks 2L, and Ella Westerberg, Radcliffe '50 and all the national delegates but Dysart, Gootenburg, and Rice.

The AVC chapter was instrumental last winter in forming a University-wide group to oppose the Saltonstall Committee's first choice of a $200,000 plaque and $500,000 in scholarships.