New Deal For Blockhouse

Watson, Grievance Group Confer

Associate Dean Watson yesterday met complaints of men quartered in the gym with orders for a general housecleaning and an announcement that University employees will transport the trunks of men moving out of the Blockhouse.

Dean Watson, reacting to criticisms voiced at a meeting Tuesday night by the residents of the gym, said yesterday that the men had a number of "just complaints."

Empty beds will be dismantled, he declared, and the new torn paper placed under the cots to protect the basketball floor, will be removed. In addition, trunks, now stored in the basements of several Yard dormitories, will be hauled to the student's new entry when he gets orders to move.

The dean met yesterday afternoon with Neil J. Smolser '52 and Richard T. Hoffron '52, representatives of the overflow group, who presented a petition asking a reduction of rent for men who had lived in the Blockhouse.

Full Rental Unfair

Declaring it is "unfair to charge full room rental for a hod, a chair, and a locker," the petition, signed by 79 residents of the gym, said "we are willing to pay a proportionate rate."

The delegation was informed, Dean Watson told the CRIMSON, that the petition would be presented at a meeting Friday night of the several housemasters, Provost Buck, vice-President Reynolds, and Deans Bonder, Leighton, and Watson.

Dean Watson declared, however, that he "doubts very much" that the rent will be out. He pointed out that the University has gone to great expense preparing the dormitory, and added that a pro-rata system would involve large bookkeeping expenses.

Simultaneously, 27 Freshmen living in the gym received permanent room assignments yesterday, it was announced.

"I think we'll get them all out by the deadline," Dean Watson said yesterday. This deadline, announced at the beginning of the term by University authorities, is Wednesday.

The bottleneck in emptying the gym, the associate dean revealed, has been that House residents who have been picked to take in upperclass residents from the Yard and other dormitories, have been allowed to volunteer for additional roommates.

No men, Dean Watson said, have been arbitrarily assigned to rooms in Houses.