Football Squad Arrives at Cornell

Acrial Duel Expected

By Don Carswell

If anybody wants to find Art Valpey, Davey Nelson, Butch Jordan or thirty-six stalwart young men today, he'll have to put in a call to Watkins Glen, N.Y. This quaint little hamlet is where the Dunean Hines, of the H.A.A. has ledged the varsity football team for the Cornell weekend.

The Crimson's three railroad cars left Boston last night at 10:30 p.m., but not before the team had engaged in possibly their most thorough workout to date. The emphasis was on pass defense and on all phases of offense.

Starting Lineup

The figures on the Navy-Cornell game show that Navy threw 30 passes and completed 14 of them. Further mathematical research reveals that Columbia flipped 30 aerials and completed 17. Evidently, pass defense is not the forte of either the Big Hed or the Crimson.

Valpey was bearing the Cornell blind spot in mind yesterday afternoon at Soldiers Field, when he had Jimmy Noonan and Charley Roche doing some concentrated chucking. In addition, Paul Shafer, Chip Gannon, Kenny O'Donnell, Nick Athens, and Hal Moffie were doing some subsidiary passing.

It seems also a foregene conclusion that at least one of the five Cornell observers of the Columbia game decided that the Crimson wasn't especially sparkling against a passing attack.

Nearer Two Platoons

One further development in Harvard football strategy became apparent during this week of practice: Valpey is slowly progressing toward a complete two-platoon system. In the last days both Will Davis and Sam Butler have become members of the defensive team, paring down the two-unit men to Ken O'Donnell alone.

Cornell Weak on Passes

Valpey gave his estimate of the starting offensive lineup yesterday: le, Di Blasio; lt, Bradlee; lg, Houston; c, O'Brien; rg, Coan; rt, Bender; re, Mazzone; qb, Henry; lhb, Noonan or Roche; rhb, O'Donnell; fb, Gannon or Shafer.