New Chair Set Up In Honor of Late Professor Cross

Establishment of a Slavic Languages and Literatures chair in memory of the late Professor Samuel Hazzard Cross '12, was announced last night by Mr. Charles H. Watkins '09, President of the Harvard Club of Boston at a dinner celebrating the 35th anniversary of the opening of the clubhouse. More than $150,000 has already been pledged toward the professorship.

Professor Cross, who died in 1946, was chairman of the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures for many years, and was a noted authority on Eastern European affairs.

A leading student of Russian affairs, he served on several American missions to Europe, and in 1942 was interpreter for President Franklin D. Roosevelt in White House conferences with Russian Foreign Minister Molotov.

Active In Foreign Affairs

Professor Cross was a native of Westerly, R.I. He received his M.A. in 1915, and his Ph.D. in 1916. Before joining the Harvard faculty, he taught at Western Reserve University, Georgetown University, and Tufts. He served overseas during World War I and was detailed for a time to the American Commission to Negotiate Peace. In the early '20s, he served as American Trade Commissioner to Belgium.

Cross was an active member of the Harvard Club of Boston, serving as Chairman of the Entertainment Committee.