Soccer Team Shuts Out MIT, 4-0

Engineers Easy Prey In Pre-Yale Tuneup

MIT played its best soccer of the season yesterday, but the Engineers were unable to stop the fourth period rush of an aroused Crimson team, which blasted to a 4 to 0 victory on the MIT field. It was the seventh win of the year for Harvard and the fifth shutout.

The Techmen held the Crimson scoreless until late in the third quarter, when Captain Phil Potter crossed a long kick into the corner of the MIT goal. From then on, it was no contest. But before Potter's goal, the Crimson was frequently in trouble and it was only several spectacular saves by goalie Loring Batchelder that prevented Tech scores.

Passing Attack Clicks

Playing on Tech's abbreviated field, the varsity was unable to open up the game with its short passing attack until the fourth quarter, when MIT's lack of condition began to tell.

The Crimson scored its second goal in 8:50 of the fourth quarter when speedy Jon Spivak, playing at the right inside position, tapped the ball past the Tech goalie. Six minutes later, Charlie Weiss, Spivak's partner on the revised first line that played most of the second half, blasted in an angle shot from the right outside position.

Chen Scores

Franny Chen, reserve center-forward, scored the second goal on a set up pass from let outside Bill Dawson. Dawson rolled the ball to Chen who was standing three yards in front of the MIT goal and Chen tapped it into the nets.

The Harvard lineup: Batchelder, g; Drake, Wogan, rf; Scully, Dean, Schoch, if; Mudd, Seamans, Bell, rh; Louria, Harrop, ch; Miller, Carswell, Saul, lh; Heisler, Wolf, Spivak, ro; Weiss, ri; Estin, Chen, cf; Potter, Gilbert, li; Dawson, lo.