Varsity Polishes Eli Offense, Defense in Contact Session

O'Donnell in Uniform, May Face Bulldogs

By Donald Carswell

Despite the first bitter chill Soldiers Field has felt all season, Art Valpey gent the varsity football squad through a three-and-a-half-hour workout yesterday which featured long offensive and defensive scrimmages. After it was all over, however, Valpey was disappointed with the results.

O'Donnell May Play

But the mediocre workout was somewhat offset by news from the medical room, where Dr. Thomas B. Quigley announced that Captain Ken O'Donnell might be able to play against Yale Saturday for more than the one play needed to win a letter. No explanation was offered for the miraculous recovery of O'Donnell, who allegedly broke his leg against Princeton less than two weeks ago.

Valpey, however, stated that until the medicos inform him O'Donnell is in perfect health his game plans do not include Ken.

Valpey Uses Freshmen

In the actual workout, Henry Lamar's freshman team impersonated the Bulldogs and ran through Yale plays for nearly an hour while the varsity set up its defenses. Although the jayvee generally runs the opposition plays, the task of impersonating Saturday's Stadium enemy fell to the '52 men because of the great similarity between the Yale and freshman T attacks.

Freshman captain Cal Loewenstein, whose slingshot passes are similar to Yale quarterback Tex Furse's, impersonated the latter in the freshman version of the Eli.

The varsity unfortunately was not meeting with any great degree of success in halting the ersatz Yales, though much of their difficulty stemmed from the newness of the defense formations.

Varsity Offense Strong

The Crimson looked conspicuously better in the offensive workout against Ben McCabe's jayvees. The team made consistent gains, and looked especially sharp in its passing game.

In accordance with his policy of "saving a few surprises for Yale," Valpey ran the team through some plays against the jayvee which none of the local scribes present ever had seen performed either on the practice or Stadium fields before.