Band Locates New Bagpiper, Presses Him into Kilts, Action

The Band has a new bagpiper, and he's a natural. His name is Edward Rossiten '52, and his background is as Scottish as the bagpipe he plays.

Rossiter came to Harvard this year from his home in Barbados, West Indies, where his father is a retired major in the British Army, but his roots in the soil of Cambridge go all the way back to the 17th Century. One of his ancestors, a Mr. Kimball, was an original trustee of the College.

His connection with local history does not end there, either. His mother, a direct descendant of John Knox, is also related to General Gage, of Continental Army fame.

His father's side of the family makes the Scottish tradition complete and certifies him an official member of the Clan Gordon, whose kilt he wears on parade.

Rossiter learned to play the pipes while in Oregon about three years ago from Major M. Russell Todd, who taught him Army skirling as it is done in His Majesty's 16th Canadian Scottish Regiment. This training gives Rossiter a different bagpipe technique from his Harvard predecessor Leigh Cross '51, who was an exponent of the non-military style.

The new piper, in freshly pressed kilt and bubbling with solos, managed to play after last Saturday's game, although he had to do some last minute repair work on his bagpipes.