College Politicos Finish Campaign With Flourish

Torches and Placards Flash at Rallies

Campaign slogans echoed through the Yard for the last time yesterday as a Young Republican torchlight rally and a late afternoon Wallace march closed out University pre-election activity.

Torches, placards, and a beauty queen were thrown in as G.O.P. boosters indulged in a final burst of enthusiasm befor the polls open today.

On the steps of the Indoor Athletic Building, Barbara Sorenson, Radcliffe '51, received a gilt crown from President Charles MacWhorter of the club as a token of her winning the title of "HYRC Beauty Queen of 1948."

Cheer Candidates

The marchers, led by Miss Sorenson and club officers in a convertible, wound through the Yard, down Holyoke st., through the Houses and up to the gym steps, where MacWhorter led a brief session of cheering for the G.O.P. national ticket.

Windows of dormitories along the way filled briefly with spectators as the rally passed, and a few water-filled paper bags fell to splash the route of the parade, but otherwise all remained peaceful.

Wallaceltes Join Others

The Wallace rally early in the day was part of a larger demonstration which consisted of a parade through the Tenth Congressional District in Dorchester, home of Progressive candidate Walter O'Brien.

Nearly 40 members of the College Progressive Party filed into waiting cars just before supper for the trip across town, but made no local demonstration.

Prominent position in the Wallace parade was given to two horses which served as mounts for the club's leaders in the Crimson section of the larger march.