Crimson Key Society Will Paint Town Red for Blue Infiltrators

Group Greets Guests, Teams and Alumni

By Albert J. Feldman

For most people in Cambridge today, a football game at Soldiers Field will be the climax of the weekend. But for the Crimson Key Society, the Harvard-Yale contest will only be a breather in a weekend of strenuous activity that will not and until the last Yalies have embarked for their New Haven homes.

The Key, now at Harvard this year, is the unofficial University host for the thousands of people--a myriad of athletic teams, the Yale student body official guests, and alumni--who will have invaded Cambridge by kickoff time. The Key's job is to show all these visitors that there is more to the University than the horseshoe of Soldiers Field.

Social Emphasis

Today the Crimson Key Society will be concentrating on the non-athletic phase of its activities. For the majority of Yale students this means that there will be social activities in Cambridge this evening instead of a train trip back to Connecticut.

Three hundred tickets to House dances were sold by the Key in New Haven early this week, representing 20 percent of the total number of tickets. Dances at Lowell, Kirkland, Adams, Leverett, and Dunster tonight will have their share of Yale students in attendance.

The Key has made arrangements for the opening of Winthrop House for a sixth dance if pressure is great enough. Yale students will get a chance to hear the Dunces, counterpart of the Whiffenpoofs, at Dunster, and the "Smithenpoofs," a Northampton version of the same thing, at all the Houses.

If they get to Leverett House Yale men will hear the Whiffenpoofs themselves, as well as another Yale choral group, the Orpheus and Bacchus Society, at Kirkland. It is through the Crimson Key that the HDC will open its doors to Yale students with its production of Amphytrion 38.

Message Center

Nerve center of the Key's efforts to help alumni today will be an information and message center which it has set up in Wadsworth House. There the group will keep a complete listing of all class dinners and other graduate events, with personnel on hand at all times to answer any questions.

Though intended mainly for Harvard graduates, the center's facilities will be open to Yale men as well. It will handle messages between alumni, keeping a file of notices, with a cross-index listing of the sender and addressee.

Alumni Got Details

Gerald Y. Genn '48, president of the Society, outlined the mechanisms of the system to a meeting of the New England Associated Harvard Clubs last night, and today's HAA News will give further details. Bruce Harriman, a member of the Key cabinet, is in charge of this phase of the group's activities.

This morning the Key will conduct the University's official guests on a tour of the school. It will also deliver tickets for today's game to the special visitors.

Yale weekends at Harvard always mean the influx of athletic teams, always in good numbers. Acting as hosts to the members of these squads is perhaps the biggest job of the Key, but it is one that the group has found most easy to handle.

From the time that Eli athletics began pouring in from New Haven yesterday--from varsity footballers to members of College teams--the Key has been on hand at the railroad stations with a welcoming committee.

Members of the Key Society have been assigned to each team, sticking close by and lending aid. While the Key has in the past helped with hotel reservations for the squads, it has not had to do so this week.

Dance Tickets

All varsity members of the football team will be admitted without charge to the House dances tonight, under arrangements made by the Key with the Inter-House Social Committee. However, Yale's football squad will first attend a private banquet after the game.

Although the Crimson Key Society is less than three months old, its members feel that they have helped to improve University hospitality. Perhaps the remark of Dartmouth's football manager tells just what progress the group has made.

"We have never been so well received and treated," he said.