Scholarship Plan and Tablet Form Yale's War Memorial

Yale's memorial to its World War II dead will combine the Harvard idea of a memorial plaque with a $10 million scholarship program.

Work has already started on tablets bearing the names of the 515 men killed, which will be mounted on the marble walls of Yale's Memorial Hall. These tablets will be placed next to those commemorating the school's World War I dead.

These stones, the first phase of the University's program, will be ready for dedication some time next year. A memorial volume will also be prepared. It will contain a brief biographical sketch of each man that Yale seeks to honor.

Plan for Scholarships

While work is proceeding on the immediate part of the memorial, plans are new being drawn to raise funds for the establishment of the long-range scholarship program. Announcement of this multi-million dollar plan was made at Commencement last June.

A fund-raising office is yet to be established to carry out the idea, and Yale authorities report that it may be a year before all details are finally set. But it is the necessarily long-range nature of the scholarship program that makes its execution a slow process.

The entire memorial was solely an alumni concern, and a committee of the alumni board and the University Council made the final decision. Student opinion seems generally to favor the proposal, and there has been no organized protest against it.

Last War Memorial

The Yale memorial for World War I, while it did not contain a scholarship program, was in many respects like the new plans. Names of the war dead were cut in tablets in the Memorial Hall, and a memorial volume, similar to the one soon to be published, was also printed.

Architectural improvement was another facet of the last memorial. A memorial colonnade was laid down on the South side of the hall, with a memorial cenotaph rising in its center.