Annex Council Takes Up Plea Of 20 Walker St. Residents

Complaints of "fire trap" conditions at the Radcliffe dormitory at 20 Walker St., were yesterday laid before the Annex Council by Betty K. Heaton '51. Miss Heaton on behalf of 28 residents, asked the Council to intervene.

Fire control equipment in the three-story structure, she said, totals two pairs of wooden fire doors, six fire extinguishers, and four safety ropes.

The ropes, Miss Heaton pointed out, are attached to small, high windows, and in some cases one is assigned to three students. She added that the twisting rear stairway of the house is poorly lighted and has no fire doors at all, and that the basement also lacks flame-blocking doorways.

"The Lights Go Out"

Other drawbacks to the 20 Walker St. quarters, she went on, include an overloaded wiring system--"when all 28 girls turn on their lamps at the same time, the lights go out,"--no space for smoking except the kitchen, and a bedroom mirror propped up in front of the living-room fireplace.

Student Government President Joan Projansky '49 will take the case to college officials this week.