Varsity Chooses Lineman Houston To Lead Team Through '49 Season

Captain Is Three-Year Standout at Tackle

Howard E. Houston '50, All-New England tackle for two-years and 50-minute-plus man for Art Valpey this season, was elected captain of the 1949 varsity football team yesterday at a meeting of lettermen in Dillon Field House. His selection was virtually unanimous, it was reported.

Houston is the first lineman to be chosen captain since Russ Allen, a right guard, led the 1937 eleven. Prior to Allen, the last line captain was the immortal Ben Ticknor, All-American center of the 1930 team.

"I think it's a great honor, and I'll certainly enjoy leading this team," said Houston after his selection.

Coach, Team Hail Choice

His Choice was greeted with wide acclaim by Coach Art Valpey and Houston's teammates. "The squad showed remarkably fine judgment," stated Valpey "and I am fortunate to have two such fine leaders during my first two years at Harvard."

"Best Possible Choice"

Howie Houston is the best possible choice," commented retiring captain Kenny O'Donnell.

Houston completed his third year of varsity competition here this fall. He played left tackle most of 1946 when Ned Dewey was hurt, and has been the outstanding Crimson lineman for the past two years.

Switched to the running-guard position on offense, he played a total of 335 minutes in the first seven games of 1948. Like his predecessors Vince Moravec and O'Donnell, Houston is married. He is a native of Haverhill.