Howard M. Jones Attacks College Methods of Literature Instruction

Professor Howard Mumford Jones attacked the over-sentimentality present in the teaching of college literature in a welcoming address to over 250 New England college professors of English at the annual meeting of the College English Association in Sever Hall, Saturday.

Three other Harvard professors took part in the discussions that followed the opening address. Professor Harry T. Levin '33 spoke on the panel discussing the teaching of the novel, and Professor John Finley, Jr. '25 talked on the relation of ancient and other foreign classics to the present day college curriculum in English. Professor Theodore Spencer, national president of the association, presided over the final meeting at dinner Saturday night.

Professor Ludwig Lewisohn of Brandeis University backed up Professor Jones' earlier statements in the closing speech of the meeting by challenging the colleges to criticize, to clear the air, and to establish the right values in the study of literature.