Student Rights Upheld

In response to vigorous action by student organizations, Dean Bender has dropped his recent ruling that would have required all student investigating bodies to "clear" with his office before interviewing officials of the administrative departments. He has instead agreed to try out Student Council proposals that are more sensible--and certainly less drastic--than his original plan.

That plan was drastic; but the problems it sought to solve were not. Vice-President Reynolds and his department had complained that student investigations were bothering them; also, officers in the department had given answers on minor undergraduate problems that had sometimes been at odds with Dean's Office policy. The Dean's solution to this difficulty, however, was a denial of the student right of free investigation. College groups reacted promptly, and Bender announced that he would accept any reasonable alternative plan.

The alternative was on his desk within a week of this statement. The Council's proposals should cut down both inter-departmental misunderstandings and unnecessary student investigatory efforts. But vice-President Reynolds can hardly expect to run the Harvard community without discussing complaints with student citizens. He can only ask that such questioning be pertinent, and that the investigators use as little of his time (and theirs) as possible.

And that is simply what the Council is trying to ensure. The proposals themselves are, of course, less important than the issue involved. In the past 25 years, undergraduates have resolved difficulties with the College where their own interests are concerned. This approach has worked; it has been in, contrast to that used in other colleges, where decisions affecting students are handed down from the administration, and where there is no appeal. Fortunately, in this instance, Dean Bender has rejected a measure which would have denied student rights, and has proved he is anxious for the tradition of student-administration cooperation to continue.