Democrats Storm Mem Hall to Cheer Party Gains

Waving banners and yelling "What do we eat?--Elephant meat!" a mob of 100 Truman supporters swarmed into the GOP Memorial Hall victory party at 12:10 a. m. this morning and cheered reports of Democratic victories.

The students, chiefly members of the Liberal Union and Harvard for Truman Club, took up Young Republican officers on the promise they made Monday night. President Charles K. McWhorter 3L had offered to turn over Memorial Hall to the Democrats if Truman was winning at midnight.

At midnight, Truman led by a million votes. The HLU and Trumanites left their own party in Leverett Junior Common Room and marched up Massachusetts Avenue to the HYRC affair.

Acting on McWhorter's orders, University police turned back the first few Democrats at the door. Yard cops told a vanguard of 25 students that "No one is coming in after 12 o'clock. We're closing in an hour."

But when the Truman supporters began yelling "What becomes of Republican promises?" McWhorter rescinded his order and let them in. The doors were open when the main throng of HLU men marched up.

McWhorter then took a microphone and said, "I'd like to welcome our Democratic friends and hope they behave like gentlemen."

While Young Republican officers read reports of Truman victories, the Democrats yelled, shouted "We Want Harry," and left at 1:30 a. m. for another march back to Leverett House.

Other election-day activities saw 28 foreign students tour polling places for a first-hand view of American democracy in action.

The HYRC party started at 8 p.m. Over 1000 students and college girls attended during the evening to drink beer, dance, and keep tab on results.

Meanwhile, about 50 HLU members met in Leverett House to listen to radio reports on the presidential and local battles. Their number grew as reports of Truman victories began filing in.