Poodle, Martinis, Limousines Add Class To Saturday's Palmer Stadium Ivy Derby

At a Big Three game, when the team loges, there is always the crowd, the hand, and tradition. Saturday the crowd wan 38,000, the bands totaled about 185, and tradition, well, there is a lot of ivy at Princeton.

The spectators were a distinguished and resourceful group. One young lady brought a pedigreed manicured miniature poodle to divert her during the contest. A hand brought a gallon thermos of martinis to the game so that the cocktail hour could start on time.

Still a third segment had chauffeurs drive down from New York to convey them and their guests around Princeton, where cars, are forbidden to under-graduates.

Special note must be made of the Princeton "half-time stunt." The public address system listed some eight organizations as sponsors and perpetrators of the gag. It concerned a model building, Santa Claus, two tigers, some funny money, and the clangings of a cash register.

The stunt resolved into a none-too-subtle suggestion that well heeled alumni should share the wealth with Princeton. Crimson rooters were befuddled by the whole affair because at a distance, one of the tigers looked very much like a whiskerless rodent.