Battered Team Gropes For Tackle, Wingback

By Donald Carswell

Art Valpey called forth his football squad at 3 p.m. yesterday, and found a great hole in the Crimson line. He found another one in the backfield. What to do about them is the problem of the week.

When trainers helped Dick Guidera off the field at Palmer Stadium, they removed one quarter of varsity strength at weak side tackle. After the game, the medicos announced Doug Bradlee was out for the season, and thereby gobbled up another 25 percent.

Heinle Dunker, fourth string replacement in this slot, is also out for the remainder of the season because of a bad knee. Starting tackle Will Davis will be at full strength Saturday, but he can't be expected to play sixty minute ball.

Consequently, guard Jerry Kanter worked out at tackle yesterday and may be used there against Brown.

Another Problem

The loss of Captain Kenny O'Donnell has left the wingback picture almost blank. In an attempt to fill the shoes of the man who has played about three quarters of all Harvard wingback this fall, Chuck Roche appeared briefly working out among the wingbacks.

Paul O'Brien, though he lost a pair of front teeth and suffered a slight concussion in New Jersey, was on hand yesterday.

In order to enjoy what little afternoon daylight is left in Cambridge afternoon daylight is left in Cambridge after 3 p.m., Valpey reversed the usual order of practice on Monday and ran the team through plays before they viewed the Princeton films. What happened at the movies is a dark secret but Art Valpey had a few remarks to make about the Tiger tragedy at the coaches luncheon yesterday.

An Open Date

In the tranquil surroundings of Dinty Moore's, the Crimson mentor rose and stated that at Princeton, his team had been "fundamentally licked." The Tigers had gained their win by "shoulders and hard-hitting." He summed up the situation aptly: "Saturday was like an open date with physical punishment."

Looking backward over the season, Valpey rated Princeton the second best team Harvard has faced, the first being Army. He thought the Crimson had played both its best offensive and defensive game against the Cadets. Offensively, Dartmouth and then Columbia were the two and three games for varsity scoring punch.

Brown in Top Shape

With some of its injured topflighters coming back to practice this week and only one injured player from Saturday's clash with Western Reserve, Brown will be in good physical shape for its game with Harvard this Saturday at Cambridge, Coach Rip Engle expects.

A pair of Brooklyn Prep stars with the Bears, Joe Paterno, quarterback, and Frank Mahoney, end, reported for today's light drill and Fred Kozak of Fall River is near peak form as a result of the work he was able to do against Western Reserve.

Jerry Zeoli of Providence, speedy halfback, was the only Brown player injured in the game last Saturday. He suffered a strained back.