Council Proposes Expert Survey of All Dining Halls

Last week's onslaught of undergraduate complaints on House Dining Hall food prompted the Student Council to pass a series of resolutions on the subject at its meeting last night.

The first proposal suggests that the University hire a management consultant firm specializing in restaurants to survey both House dining halls and the Union, and make recommendations for possible improvement.

The Council also suggested that, following the example of the Union, the five Houses served by the central Kirkland kitchen, and Adams and Dunster organize committees to meet with the dining hall stewards to discuss menus, and food preparation in general.

Council Offers Help

Finally, the Council offered to assist the University in an investigation of the dining halls.

Charles R. Brynteson '50, head of the Council's Student Welfare Committee, explained that he has already talked over the food situation with Vice-President Reynolds. Reynolds called the dining halls the most efficiently run department of the University, Brynteson told the Council last night.

Reynolds also said that a survey of the dining hall situation by a professional firm would not be worth the money spent, Brynteson added.

Dining Halls Profitable

Two years ago, the dining halls made a profit of approximately $41,000, while last year the not gain climbed to around $49,000, Brynteson pointed out. This money, he claimed, should be used to finance a professional investigation of the dining halls.

Such an investigation would be worthwhile even if no suggestions for improvement of the dining halls are made, Brynteson concluded, because it would placate aroused undergraduates, if not their stomachs.

Epidemic Incites Report

Although the dining hall problem is on the agenda of the Student Welfare Committee, no report was planned immediately. However, when an epidemic broke out among students eating in dining halls serviced by the central Kirkland kitchen last week, the matter received more immediate attention. The poisoning has been attributed to either the milk or gravy served Friday.