Five Contests In One Week Confront Debating Council

With five debates slated in five days, the Debate Council faces the heaviest schedule in its history. After dropping its first two decisions, the Council will oppose Cansisius College tonight in Lowell House Junior Common Room at 8:30 o'clock.

K. Bruce Friedman '50 and Richard S. Stewart '51 will take the negative stand against Cansisius on the subject: "Resolved, That the federal government should attempt to equalize expenditures for education throughout the nation of its grants

Oppose Ivy Champions

Third in last year's Ivy League competition, the Crimson will send Arthur W. Purcell '50 and Poter H. Clayton '51 to Ithaca Friday to debate Cornell the defending champions. Purcell and Clayton will take the negative on the topic: "Resolved, That the President's Civil Rights program should be enacted."

Meanwhile, also on Friday, the Council will enter a conference of debating teams from the Boston area at Milton Academy. Robert W. Kratz '51 and John H. Sutter '52 will battle a pair of Boston College debaters, taking the affirmative on the topic: "Resolved, That a federal world government be established."

Enter Competition at Tufts

On Friday and Saturday Lloyd J. Walker '50 and Richard E. Firth '48 will represent Harvard at the New England Inter-Collegiate Debating Council at Tufts University.

The Socialist Workers Party of Massachusetts will be the last opponent on the crowded week-end docket. Robert E. Kohn '50 and J. Phillip Bahn '49, president of the Council, will journey down to Dock Square in Boston to uphold the possibility of economic security under capitalism in a non-decision talk-fest to the states."

Crimson debaters lost a home-and-home debate with Yale two weeks ago in their first Ivy encounter.