Too Much Leg Bans Ad for HTW 'Troilus & Cressida'

In Boston, a little leg can cause a lot a trouble, And a lot of leg, the Harvard Theatre Workshop found out yesterday, can be cataclysmic.

The offending limb, shown on the right appended to the rest of Jan Fafrand, was pictured in an advertisement for the HTW's "Troilus & Cressida." The ad was submitted to several local college newspapers. Reaction from the Boston College "Heights" was immediate. Where most editors raised their eyebrows, Charles Cullen, Business Editor of the Jesuit College's Weekly, raised the bars. He refused to print the ad unless the photograph was amputated.

Cullen explained that it wasn't only that there was too much tibia and fibula exposed. "It is a definite Jesuit Policy" to prohibit the appearance of females in "bathing suits, dancing costumes, or evening gowns," in undergraduate publications.

HTW officials immediately with drow the picture from the ad. Jerry Kilty '50, president of the HTW, stated that the photograph of Miss Farrand was a portrait of her as she will appear in the role of Cressida. "It is on all the posters."

As far as could be learned last night all the other newspapers will print the ad as submitted--leg and all.