Hooton Finds Yankee Muscles Big

Texans Not So Strong, Army Survey Shows

New England men tend to be more muscular than Texans, while Protestants are thinner than Catholics. The Army disclosed those findings yesterday after studying a report submitted last summer by Earnest A. Hooton, professor of Anthropology.

Professor Hooton and his associates worked for two years collecting and classifying the body measurements of 119,000 soldiers and WACS.

Using the Quartermaster Corps' laboratory at Lawrence, Francis Randall, Professor Hooton's assistant, classified the measurements of the veterans and relayed the results to the office in Cambridge.

Final Analysis

Professor Hooton is now working with six assistants analyzing the statistics. The researchers hope to discover the relationships between weight and build in different types of men. This will be used to determine what work men of certain body build can best perform.

The Quartermaster Corps will use this information in assigning soldiers to the work for which they are most suited and will then know what sizes of uniforms are needed for specific service activities.

More than 70 measurements were taken of each person, while full length photographs were taken of 50,055 men and women. These were analyzed by Professor Hooton's staff in Cambridge.

Anglo-Saxons usually had the lean builds and Catholics come from ethnic groups which are powerful and stocky.

According to the Army, Protestants tended to be thin and poorly muscled, while Catholics ranked first among the heavy and muscular men measured.

The report went on that this was not due to the religious faith of the soldiers but was a result of their ancestral extraction.

Fat men were usually officers and noncoms and enlisted men were found generally among the thinner group