Neither Owls, Spies, Jazz, Nor Freshman Smokers . . .

Even when an audience walks out on them, '52 politicians with Freshman Smoker Committee ambitions don't mind promising a partridge for every owl. After a jazz band concert and other shenanigans in the Union dining hall last night, several office hopefuls called for a look at the books, a look at the record, and the New Look.

Seven, from the 42 candidates in the field, will be chosen in February. To try to join the select seven, Louis Lament and Roger Hunt staged a jazz concert, and the friends of John "Swami" Morey staged a self-styled "Hindu riot."

Tired of the emotional strains of the spy-thriller movie, "The 39 Steps," the hangers-on evaporated when those prepared with more staid appeals to the popular will arose. Unconfounded, the politics spoke for the public prints.

Running as a ticket, Edmond Gong and Ernest Grabelsky of "Grabelsky today and Gong tomorrow" fame asked one and all to look at "a stunt" which transpires today opposite Widener Library at 9:30 p.m.

Escape "Gag Rule"

This enterprise, they promised, would circumvent the "obscenity gag rule" of Smoker posters, which has been invoked by the Dean's Office this year in response to both Decency and Apathy League protests last year.

Describing himself as the candidate "most handicapped" by the bars to pornography, Al Thompson welcomed the opportunity to express what propriety has thus far prevented from appearing on the Union walls.

As "a Southern-Yankee who was bawn in Birmin'ham but raised in Larchmont," he stood shakily on a platform of "beer and sex."

Others following this lead more or less were Richard Edelman, Melvin Brown, Bruce Recker, Gene Edlin (a poll-taker), and David "a shot with every beer" Fine.