Attacks Draft

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The lead story appearing in last Saturday's CRIMSON entitled "Draft May Bypass Students" should not divert students from squarely facing the issues of the draft with all of its ramifications. The plans offered by the Healing Arts Advisory Committee to defer students "from year to year" fails after all to alleviate the fear and insecurity felt by students as they face the possibility of regimentation in a peace-time Army. We know that as long as the cold war continues; as long as this country proceeds on a program of militarization and superarmaments; as long as our foreign policy is based on building and sustaining reactionary and fascist governments abroad (as witness the sending of American Marines and equipment to bolster Chiang Kai-Shek) as long as the military and big businessmen of the Dulles-Forrestal variety exercise such tremendous control over this country's approach to foreign and domestic issues, that for this period, we shall remain as before: draft-bait. A sudden "emergency" could well play havoc with the "deferment" policy.

While we are happy to see any manifestations of a check on the drive toward war, we feel that the problem of the draft should be approached along more fundamental lines. Gerald Gordon; 1L Chairman   Young Progressives of Harvard