Dartmouth Five Wins 72-68 Overtime Game

Leede Tallies 34 for Victors

By Stephen N. Cady

Dartmouth's slim, baby-faced basketball captain, Ed Leede, tossed in baskets faster than a five-and-ten-cent store salesman ringing up a cash register last night at the Garden to guide his undefeated team to a 72-68 overtime win over the varsity. The Big Green led at halftime, 28-27.

Leede, who put in 12 field goals and 10 fouls, and varsity center Bill Prior, with a total of 23 points, took turns tilling the lead back and forth. Dartmouth had an eight-point bulge in the second period, Harvard a similar margin in the third. But Leede won out in the end. He sent the game into overtime at 59-59 with 50 seconds left on two lazy free throws, and then administered the coup de grace with two field goals and three more fouls.

It was a tough one for the Crimson to lose. Prior played the best game of his Harvard career, guard Walt McCurdy was hitting well from the outside, and at times, the varsity defense looked inspired.

But the old faults were still there--uncertain hall-handing (what Art Valpey would call "Stuttering"), and an overall lack of confidence. With two and a half minutes to play in the regulation game, Harvard had a five point lead. They couldn't freeze it.

The Harvard summaries:   G  F  TP Gannon, f  1  3  5 Smith, f  4  1  9 Rockwell, f  0  3  3 Covey, f  1  1  3 Prior, c  8  7  23 Davis, g  1  0  2 Crosby, g  2  2  6 Petrillo, g  0  0  0 McCurdy, g  8  1  17 Gabler, g  0  0  0   --  --  --   25  18  68