BC Tops Hockey Team, 9-4

Eagles' Finesse Beats Varsity; Key, Greeley Stand Out for Crimson

By Charles W. Bailey

The expected fisticuffs didn't come off at the Arena last night, but everything else went just about according to form, as Boston College staked out an easy 9 to 4 win over the varsity hockey team.

The Crimson was ahead for just 18 seconds of the game between Captain Dave Key's neat screen shot at 0:47 of the opening period and Jim Fitzgerald's slap-in at 1:05. Before the end of the period the competent BC team had a 4 to 1 lead, and it never let the margin be narrowed.

Harvard looked uncoordinated through almost all of the game. Except for Key and defenseman Dick Greeley, no one in a red shirt stood our consistently. Doug Anderson took the puck once in his own blue line and turned in a spectacular one-man scoring rush late in the second period; Al Key threw one head-over-heels check a minute later.

Puck Frozen

But it was Anderson's third line that was stymied for a full minute at mid-ice while three clever BC skaters froze the puck completely to kill a penalty, and it was the Bill Allen-Al Key second defense that formed the weakest unit on the ice.

The Eagles showed ample evidence to support their top rating in local hockey circles. They had shooting power to spare, passing that consistently found a free man in a dangerous spot, and a first defense pair that spent the evening spilling ambitious Crimson forwards.

At no time during the night was either team moving at full speed. The first five minutes of play were conducted at a near-walk despite the scoring. When BC managed to generate some steam, it left the varsity well in arrears.

BC's first line got five of the goals, with center Fitzgerald poking in two in the first period and one in the closing minutes. The second line hit twice, and each defense combination once--a perfectly balanced tally sheet.

Harvard's second line failed to score at all; the first and third lines split the honors. Each Crimson defense combination showed one strong man and one weak one--but Coach Chase couldn't very well put both Greeley and Al Key in one team if he expected to play a full game.

Neither Johnny Chase nor Bill Yetman proved able to stem the tide of BC shots at the Crimson goal.

For five minutes in the second period, the varsity showed signs of making it a fight. It came back for two quick scores and carried the play to the opposition steadily--but the third period found BC scoring three times to the Crimson's one to clinch a well-deserved win.

Next Tuesday, when most students will be at home, the on-and-off varsity will run up against probably the top hockey team in the East-McGill University. When the skating gentlemen from Montreal come down to Boston, they will bring real speed, real finesse, and the best teamwork that Harvard will see this year. Coach Chase has a lot of work to do if he expects a decent showing against the fancy Frenchmen from the north country.

The summaries: HARVARD (4)  B.C. (9) Chase  G  Burke Coulter  RD  Songin Greeley  LD  McCusker Key  C  Lewis Garrity  RW  McIntyre Carman  LW  Fitzgerald

Harvard scoring: First period--D. Key (Carman), 0:47. Second period--Garrity (D. Key, Carman), 11:14; Anderson (Greeley), 16:58; penalties: Coulter (interference), A. Key (interference). Third period--Kitteredge (Anderson, Minot), 11:43.