Swimmers Trim MIT 59-16, Lose One Race

By Gene R. Kearney

The freshmen supplied the mixer and the varsity added the punch in last night's swimming bill against MIT at the Blackhouse. The whole show went down like a well mixed tall drink when Hal Flen's outfit stirred up a sweet 69 to 16 victory after the '51 squad had taken the opener, 46 to 29.

Points Come Fast

Tom Woods, Chuck Hoclzer, and Bill MacVicar ganged up on Tech in the very first event, the 300-yd, medley relay, and took it by 15 feet in 3:06.1. Captain Jerry Gorman and sophomore Bob Berke took first and second in the 220-yd. freestyle to put the Crimson well ahead. Edgar worked a first place for MIT in the 50-yd. freestyle but was closely followed to the tiles by Marv Hull and Sandy Brown, both of the varsity.

From the one-meter board, Tom Drohan racked up 97.5 points for first place. Win Briggs followed him for second with 90.4, while Lehman took third for Tech with 75.4. Berke took teammate Gorman in the 100-yd. freestyle, and they swept in first and second.

A thrilling finish in the 150-yd. backstroke provided the bitters for the night's activities, as Tom Woods came from behind to edge out Pitler of Tech by eight inches in 1:43.8.

Easy Going

Things settled back down to their casual pace after this, as the Crimson's Larry Ward beat teammate Hoelzer, who in turn beat Pelletier of Tech. Then Ted Norris swam away from two Engineers who had lapped Brown's best swimmers last week in the 440-yd. breaststroke, and Hull, Killoran, Lange, and Tolf made an easy affair of the 400-yd.