Freshman Badminton Influx Upsets Athletic Applecart

Radcliffe

Plans for badminton intramural took a new turn yesterday when 53 members of the freshman class signed up to participate in the contests later this month. Should all 53 play, the freshman will earn 365 points toward the inter-class all sports trophy under the new Athletic Association intramural point system.

Elizabeth Tucker '52 rounded up members of her class and asked them to promise to be participants. She then presented the list of names to amazed Athletic Association officials.

Previous to this, only 11 girls from the other three classes combined had signed up for the singles tournament, and ten for the doubles.

Only similar organization on the part of the other classes can prevent a clear walk away in badminton and possibly the entire intramural race by the freshman. "The action is perfectly legal," Nina Emerson '50, AA vice-president said yesterday. "We wanted greater participation by the student body and we are getting it."

Fencing

Club fencing activity also began this week. Helen Duker '49 will be AA chairman in this sport. Unless an unusual number of girls turns out to practice with the foils, the club will combine with the advanced fencing class which meets Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 2 p.m. All girls interested should get in touch with Miss Duker in Cabot.

The second lap of the swimming intramurals will also take place in the near future. This will include both form and speed races and style performances.