Band Plays in 'Drumbeats' Tonight

Symphony Hall Hears 'Cliffe Fund Show

The University Band, the Krokodiloes, the 'Cliffe-Riffs, and the "Hungry Five" will perform at the "Drumbeats and Song" concert in Symphony Hall at 8:30 p.m. tonight. Radcliffe alumnae are sponsoring the concert for the benefit of the Seventieth Anniversary Fund.

"Mary and the Lamp Forover" is a new number to be introduced tonight. Written especially for the Band by Edward Ballantine '07, Associate Professor of Music, emeritus, the novelty number is in the style of Sousa. Malcolm H. Holmes '28 will conduct.

Other Numbers

"Radcliffiana," written and arranged by Leroy Anderson '46, and introduced at the Band's 1947 concert, will be given a repeat performance. Medleys played at the Brown, Yale, Cornell, and Columbia games are also featured.

"Toccata Marziala," by Williams, "Suite for Band in E Flat," by Holst, and "Commando March," by Barber fill out the first section of the program.

The final part of the concert includes "Romance in Rhythm," a musical sketch in modern jazz style consisting of numbers by the vocal groups. Anthony Bonner '49 of Rome, Italy is musical director of this portion, which is arranged by David Edgar '49, Peter C. Hewitt '49, and Bonner.

Dance Solo

A solo dance number will be performed by Mildred Blacklock, Radcliffe '50, a member of the 'Cliffe-Riff chorus. Cynthia Sweeney '50, will do a vocal solo.

Radcliffe will provide a snack bar and gift booth for the concert. Students will serve as workers and flower sellers.

Tickets are available only at Symphony Hall, Paul B. Finney '50, Band Manager, said last night that a few tickets are left.