Draft May Bypass Students

Five Groups Map Deferment Plan

WASHINGTON, Dec. 3--Recommendations to defer all college and graduate school students indefinitely may soon go to Selective Service Headquarters, the CRIMSON learned today.

Five committees, set up by the Army, are now working on a plan which would allow students taking courses in agriculture, biology, engineering, physical and social sciences and the humanities to continue their work.

Tentative proposals indicate that the students would not be drafted for one year. Deferment would be renewed from year to year, if work was satisfactory.

The new procedure would be based on the month-old plan of the Healing Arts Advisory Committee. This group was similar to the five new committees. It recommended that all doctors, dentists veterinarians, and osteopaths and also pre-professional undergraduates in these fields be given the same deferment as is now contemplated for other students.

If the committees' recommendations are accepted, Selective Service Headquarters in Washington will send them to all boards as a bases for calling up men. But they would not be mandatory procedure for the local draft officials.

Quotas Lower

Since the Army cut its draft quotas this week, individual boards would probably use the proposals and not draft most college students.

The five new committees, working under the direction of Dr. M.H. Trytten, member of the National Research Council, will soon meet jointly and pool their recommendations. Then they will present their report to draft officials.

Dr. R.C. Gibbs, chairman of the Physical Sciences Advisory Committee, declined to state when the proposals will be presented. He commented that "the committees are still developing the plan. We are working as fast as possible to complete the job."

At the present time only medical and special science students are legally exempt. All others are allowed to completed only one academic year.

President Truman clamped a "silence" order last night on the armed force attempts to convince the public they need more money.