Risque Comedies Rate Low In Houses' Christmas Plays

Bawdy 17th century drama, the usual fare at annual House Christmas celebrations, will be only a minor item on the menu of holiday festivities this year. Only Eliot and Leverett will produce the type of play Ben Jonson made famous.

Winthrop House has switched to a showing of Charlie Chaplin films after its Christmas dinner next Thursday. The change was made after dictum from the House office told the Deacons that they could not put on a show that "would embarrass any women from 17 to 70"

"The Silent Woman" will be the Elephant offering. Students and faculty members will both take on the acting chores in Jonson's drama. It will follow the House Yale dinner next Wednesday.

The only other Jonson comedy will be given by Leverett, also on next Wednesday. The Bunnie Hutch plans a production of "The Alchemist." Lowell House will present Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew" on the same night.

Adams and Dunster will start the rash of celebrations this weekend. The Gold-coasters are presenting George S. Kaufman's "The Man Who Came to Dinner" on Friday night, and Dunster will put forth an original three-act comedy.