Penn Grabs 58 - 50 Ivy Win Over Revamped Varsity Five

Coach Bill Barclay gave his starting lineup a thorough shuffling for Saturday afternoon's game in Penn's Palestra, but the new array ran into the same late as its predecessors, and the Quakers won, 58 to 50.

Chip Gannon was shifted to forward, Captain George Hauptfuhrer moved back to his center berth of last year, and Walt McCurdy returned to the starting five at guard. A new member of the Varsity, Mike "Red" Fansler, saw action for the first time this year as a substitute for Hauptfuhrer. But none of these moves produced a victory.

Pennsylvania's center, Herb Lyon, and Captain Stan Novak sparked the Red and Blue's quintet to a 30 to 24 halftime edge, after Harvard had gone ahead at one time by three points in the first period.

Win Going Away

The Quakers held their margin until the ten-minute mark of the second half, when three consecutive buckets by Hauptfuhrer narrowed the count to 40 to 38. But Penn surged back in the waning moments to outdistance the Crimson.

In Cambridge, the Crimson Freshmen easily defeated Northeastern, 51 to 34.

The Harvard summary: HARVARD (50)   G  F  P Gannon, lf  2  0  4 Rockwell, rf  3  4  10 Hauptfuhrer, c  4  4  12 Fansler  1  0  2 McCurdy, lg  5  0  10 Brady, rg  2  0  4 Prior  3  0  6 Crosby  1  0  2   -  -  - Total  21  8  50