Group of Ten Bolsters Body Fighting UMT

University, Radcliffe Aides Visit Capitol

Ten Harvard and Radcliffe reinforcements to an army of 1500 vociferous students stormed into the nation's capital this weekend to register their protest against universal military training legislation.

A Boston group of 30 which had gathered here last wtek for an organizational meeting of the New England Students for Wallace Committee left the Hub late Saturday afternoon.

They spent Sunday discussing the various aspects of UMT at panel meetings in Joe Turner's Arena in downtown Washington. Robert Kenney of the Progressive Citizens of America addressed the conclave to round out the Sabbath activities.

Gathering the next day on the Capitol steps, they split to buttonhole legislators and other public officials and review their stand on the pending training proposals.

Soo Local Senators

Both Massachusetts Senators received representatives of the group. Senator Henry Cabot Lodge '23 stated that he opposed military training, not on principle, but because he believed that it was an ineffectual way to prepare for the next war. While Senator Leverett Saltonstall '14 was noncommittal because of his position on the committee considering the issue.

Some students tried to see the president but were unable to obtain an appointment. Paul Robeson entertained the group Monday evening before it entrained for home.