Good Jobs Waiting for '48, Survey Shows; Graduates Can Start at $200

Seniors graduating in June will find a seller's market for their talents, according to a recent survey conducted by the Northwestern Life Insurance Company. With figures culled from 34 universities, the statistics show that a college graduate can shed his cap and gown and step into a job at twice the salary that his Class of 1939 schoolmate could expect.

During the depression, only the top third of a graduating class could be sure of finding a job immediately. Today, according to John W. Teele, director of the Office of Student Placement, three-quarters of the senior class can get positions "if they go out for them."

The survey reveals that the average business and non-technical students can pull down a $200 to $235 monthly pay-check as soon as he gets his diploma, while before the war he would have had to settle for $95 to $110.

Science Major Lead

Teele said last night that chemistry, physics, and other technical concentrators have a slight advantage over their classmates in Humanities and Social Sciences. The Northwestern figures show that engineering graduates average $340 to $275 to start, compared to 1939 range of $135 to $150.

But "things are not going to be as easy" in a few years, Teele warns under graduates advising prospective job-hunters to "act to work" now seeking openings.