College Sees First Enrollment Drop Since War as 5200 Register Today

Total Is 5400; Houses Take 173 New Men

The post-war bulge is flattening. When an estimated 5200 students scribble through the Memorial Hall registration mill today undergraduate enrollment will dip to 5400, 200 less than in September, marking the first step on the College's long road to normalcy.

Only 120-odd returnees, including 95 veterans and some readmitted men, signed up on Friday, while over 300 seniors completed their degree requirements last term and are expected to receive their diplomas after a corporation meeting in March.

No Forced Commuters

The first enrollment drop since the war leaves almost 200 vacancies in Houses and dormitories, and as a result, no men will be forced to commute this term, according to Associate Dean Robert B. Watson '37, in charge of housing.

"There is no priority set-up" on filling the House vacancies, Dean Watson said yesterday. Returnees who resided in Houses before their absences, upper-classmen who spent the fall term in the Yard, Claverly and Dudley, and some commuters will plug the 173 gaps in the seven Houses.

All other men who want to live in the College will be accommodated in the dormitories, said Dean Watson. Of the 5400 enrolled in the College, 4168 will sack down in College buildings. The remainder, married or single, prefer to live at home, be explained.

No Tests

Placement tests, English A anticipatories, and VA mass meetings, as well as bunk-filled gymnasiums, have abandoned winter registrations, since only three new men have been admitted for the spring term.

A sectioning meeting for 25 undergraduate courses will take over Memorial Hall tomorrow between 9 and 1 o'clock, and on Wednesday, the veterans book order department moves in for a two week stay. Veterans will find a new set of regulations governing purchase of books under the G.I. Bill when they fill out their authorization form.

Aarons through Kydds will file through Memorial Hall from 8:30 to 12 o'clock this morning. In the afternoon, Labes through Zwicks will take over until 4 o'clock, when late-comers can pick up their envelopes until 6 o'clock.