Several Varsity Hockey-Men Skate on Thin Academic Ice

By Bayard Hooper

A distinctly unathletic factor-probation--will loom large in shaping events for the hockey team in the tough second half of its schedule. Several much-needed men are already doing their only skating in the direction of academic doom, and if you believe Coach Chase's typically gloomy forebodings, the rest of the team are all due to join them.

Three more have gone for good; graduation has claimed linemen Johnny Crocker and Bob Feloney, while Lew Preston has passed up the honor of playing for the Crimson to cast his lot with the A.A.U. Olympic pretenders. On the positive side of the ledger, ace defenseman Charlic Coulter has recovered from pneumonia and is ready to resume his duties, John Monroe will bolster the goal-guarding staff, Jack Carman is up from the freshman team, and Chase has hopes for the return Bill Garrity to duty.

Chase must use all these and more to come out on top of the schedule ahead. In the light of past experience, the Crimson should have no trouble with Fort Devens and Northeastern, but after that the going is due to get rough.

Army's bone-crushers loom as a threat to the Varsity's physical well-being if nothing more, while Princeton, Dartmouth, and Yale are all powerful opponents, relying on brains as well as brawn. Return engagements with B.U. and B.C. will provide little let-up between these Ivy League games.

Unless Chase's worst fears are realized, however, the Crimson will not be a pushover. Chase teams rarely are Wally Sears, Dave Key, and Shaw McKean are a potent first line, and Paul Coste and Dick Greeley have worked well on defense. The accoud and third lines are still ragged on teamwork, however, while all three goal guards have blown hot and cold in the games to date.