Wee Hours Suit Cambridge Night Workers; Janitors, Cabbies, Nurses Wouldn't Switch

By 1 o'clock in the morning most of the University's 12,856 students have gone to bed, unaware that many Canta-brigians are only starting to work.

Of 20 torchlight workers, interviewed in an informal poll, the great majority manifested feelings varying from a definite liking to a nostalgic sort of tenderness for the lonelier hours. The remaining few would rather be in bed.

Philosophy

Al Roach, Lowell House night janitor, approaches the matter from a philosophical sandpoint. "I'm always pretty much content whatever I do. I like night work, and it's the same old routine. Nothing much ever seems to happen."

University House watchmen work on a system of rotation with one regular man for each of the six Houses. On the regular each of the six Houses. On the regular guard's night off a swing man takes over the shift. And at 12:45 o'clock the night janitors go off, end the University police shoulder the whole burden of keeping order and guiding high-stepping students to their cubieles.

Other Advantages

Upholding an opposite viewpoint on night working is Cambridge tax-driver Bill Maddox, who asserts "I want to get away from my wife. That's why I work nights. I'd rather work ten hours a night and spend the day in bed, because it gives me a chance to be my boss."

"Work," says another member of Cambridge's mechanized rick-shaw boys, "I don't like to work. Period! But if I put in my time during the day, I'd just spend all my sawbucks the following night. It's one way for a single follow like me to save a few dollars."

Meanwhile telephone operator Welter Braun was busy in the basement of Lehman Hall receiving the required hourly calls from watchmen and University police. "I don't mind putting in nights," says Braun, who works from 5 to 1 o'clock in the morning every other day and from 1 to 9 o'clock in the morning on the remaining days.

Within Stillman Infirmary's ironclad confines, Miss Morency and Miss O'Donnell, now working off their two-year shift as night nurses, say they would just as soon change sheets by candlelight, since it gives them much time to get outdoors during the day. Many nurses do night duty while they are attending school during the days.

Two patrolmen, huddled in their squadcar on a windswept corner of the Square, just laughed when asked if they had chosen to work the all-night shift. "I really don't mind it" said one stubble-chinned old sergeant, "but the young fellows don't care too much for it. They'd rather be out with the women, I guess.

"Harvard Square's the only place around here where there's any action this time of morning. The clubs and bars close up about now."

As the words left his mouth, the police call box rang. The sergeant took the phone, and policemen nutraculousy began to appear from doorways all the way down Mt. Auburn Street. A squad of six collected and tramped off to quell a piot in a local all-night hamburg emporium.